“One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”
In the previous post, I have listed 10 tasks that everyone should do before 10 a.m. In this part, I will list 10 of the most common tasks we do before 10 a.m. but should not do.
It is sad to hear that most of our unhealthy habits take over us at the moment we wake up every day. It’s so easy to adopt bad habits that we don’t notice it until we start regretting it. Here are a list of 10 most common morning habits we have adopted consciously/unconsciously which will make us suffer in the future (worse we are already suffering from it).
1. Checking email: In the age of the internet, we often get attracted towards digital notifications. Knowing ourselves has become less important than knowing what’s inside our inboxes. It seems so controlling that many of the internet users check their email inbox as soon as they wake up in the morning. In the book The 4 hour work week by Timothy Ferriss, I have learned that checking email first in the morning is not a productive act. So, I changed my habit to checking it just once in the noon (12-13 p.m.). It is less time wasting(You don’t need to your inbox all the time).
2. Checking Social Media: If checking email is not the biggest problem then it’s sure the social media. Social media is so addictive and controlling that you won’t even realize where your time went by. Most of the people open their eyes to check facebook/twitter/instagram as a first thing in the morning.
If you are having the same problem try using site blocker extension like Stay focused on toptimizing the time you are wasting by visiting certain websites.
3. Watching or Reading News: This is one of the worst morning habits. What you feed your mind is what you think about all day, and I don’t think newspapers or even news channels are a healthy breakfast for your mind. 60% of the news is filled with violence, fights, wars and others of it’s kind, and the 10% contains some news about celebrities, new inventions, markets and the rest is advertisements. If you want to stay updated on current affairs you don’t need to watch the news, if something big is happening around the world you will find lots of people around talking about it. Send the time with family instead.
4. Checking Bank Balance: It more common if you have a fear of losing all your money in the bank. The system of checking the balance online raised the fear/bad habit. Waking up and checking the balance creates a lot of stress which disturbs our morning mood, and as a result, we drag the stress all the day which effects on our performance.
5. Drinking Coffee: This is another common habit which is harming us. People believe coffee gives energy in the morning, and they made a habit of drinking it by that belief. This is so wrong and harmful. Why do we need energy in the morning when we slept all night to give our body rest and store energy from dinner? Our body has it’s own hormones to wake itself up, and drinking coffee brakes the natural pattern in the body. I would prefer to drink a liter of water to help the process, and if I have to a green juice will do a far better task than coffee.
6. Making New Decisions: This is so time wasting and unproductive. You suddenly make a decision in the morning and start acting on it while there are tons of other tasks are still undone in your to-do list. If you suddenly have an idea of doing something, don’t just act on it, write it down on the journal. Wait until you have done the higher prioritized task of the day so that you don’t have to regret in the future.
7. Not having Breakfast: I have seen many people who eat breakfast after 10 a.m. not because they don’t have time or money but because they don’t give it a priority. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Our body wakes up after 7-8 hours of sleep with completely empty stomach, and if we ask for energy to it in that condition it will start consuming our body fats and muscles. In the short run, the effects may not be noticeable but in a long run, it will create blood sugar and heart problems. So, never miss the breakfast.
8. Professional Phone Calls: Professional phone calls are important, it needs the best version of you to work things out. If you are not at your peak state and behave like a zombie while making a deal, well, I am sorry but you have to stop doing that. Discipline yourself to be ready at the right moment.
9. Arranging Meetings: Arranging meetings or visits early in the morning is a bad idea. You have to be in a hurry as soon as you wake up, you will rarely have any time left for you and your family. It may sound cliche but it is important to find time for yourself which is the most important thing in your life.
10. Putting off the Hard Task: Doing at least one big task each day makes the day count in your life and you don’t have to worry about the day being wasted while you are in bed at night. Putting off the hard task in place of some easy and small task (even there are more than one tasks) will haunt you all day and it will become hard to find time to find time later on the day. Make it habit to do the day’s most important task before 10 a.m.
That’s it, these were the top 10 most important tasks which you SHOULD NOT DO before 10 a.m.
Hope you like this post, let me know by clicking the “like” button bellow, it will inspire me to write more posts like this. If you have/had any of these habits let me know your experience in the comment section. If you have any questions feel free to ask me in the comment section. I would love to hear from you.