Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, and an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of animals. A follower of veganism is known as a vegan. [Wikipedia]
Veganism doesn’t only mean eating vegetables, it also acts as a responsibility towards nature and animals. Vegans quit all of the products that consume any kind of animal use – leather, silk, milk and eggs, honey and other animal products.
Why people go vegan?
There are plenty of reasons of people going vegan, here are some main reasons:
- Religion: Some people are raised, vegans. Their culture and society inspire the concept of veganism.
- Health: Some people become vegan because they get to know the health benefits of it. Vegan diet is digested easily without consuming too much energy. It also lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Environment: Being vegan creates a large impact on the environment. It takes 3-15 times more water to produce animal protein than plant base protein; it helps to conserve water. And more the fields fills with plants the more soils get conserved and more forests get saved.
- Love for animals: Some people thinks eating animals is a form of violence and torture. Veganism acts as kindness and love towards animals.
“Violence begins with the fork.”
Things to keep in mind being a vegan:
1. Though vegan foods are healthy but it lacks some of the important nutrients for the body, make sure to take supplements to fill the gaps.
- Vitamin B-12: Cobalamin is one of the most important vitamins for our body. It helps to maintain the nervous system and forming blood. Most of the plant sources (Soybean tofu and mushrooms do have B-12 inside them) don’t have enough B-12. So, make sure to take this regularly.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps to absorb Calcium, Iron, Zinc, Magnesium in our body, it helps to make bones stronger and heart healthier. Sunlight is a good source of vitamin D so make sure to spend at least 20-30 minutes per day under the sun.
- Omega 3: Omega 3 fatty acid is important to keep a healthy heart. Plant based diet doesn’t have enough ( Mustard oil, beans, and mangoes are a good source of Omega 3) Omega 3 fatty acid supplies for the body. That’s why it is important to take supplements.
2. Avoid Processed foods as much as possible. It is amazing that most of the vegetables can be eaten raw or lightly cooked. Raw foods are better; it’s healthier, tastes better, digests better and more enjoyable to eat than processed foods.
3. Never make instant transitions. If you are a non-vegan and want to become vegan overnight, don’t do it. Create a slower plan so that your body gets adapted to the vegan diet. Try replacing meat, chicken, fish, eggs and milk one by one. In this way, you don’t have to face a sudden breakdown of your body.
Almost 31% of Indians are vegans.It is good to see that each year more and more people are getting aware of veganism and the numbers of vegans are increasing rapidly.
I hope this post was helpful. Let me hear your opinion on veganism; I’d love to hear from you.